Saturday 14 April 2012

I am a career homemaker. I originally studied Nursing, and worked as a nurse for some years at a little country hospital. When I married Andrew, my career changed, and I became a stay at home wife and mum.


 I love homemaking, I love the potential that it holds. Potential to develop so many different skills. I sew and knit, make quilts for all our beds, I make candles and soap, but the majority of my time is spent in the kitchen. I want to give my family the best meals that I can, so I cook from scratch using the best ingredients that I can find. Sometimes I go to the local markets and buy locally produced fruit and vegetables. I try to buy organic where I can. I am fortunate that I have access to reasonably priced apples and pears, and seasonal stone fruit, that I buy in bulk and are organic, but on the whole, organic food is expensive food!

 In  Australia it seems that our grocery prices are climbing higher and higher, and in a large family like my own, my grocery money is often our largest 'bill' in our fortnight. So I am trying to reduce it.

  I could easily buy processed foods. They seem to be cheaper than whole foods, but I don't want to give my family all those additives.  The next best thing  would be to make our vegetable garden more productive.

  In summer we have bumper crops of corn and beans, which is wonderful. But as the colder weather approaches, my enthusiasm for gardening decreases. It shouldn't. Our winters are quite mild, and we can grow many things, but the lure of quilting gets me every time. There is nothing like snuggling under a quilt that you're in the process of quilting!

  So my goal for this Autumn/winter is to keep our vegie garden going, and to produce as much of our own food as possible.  Red and green cabbages, Savoy cabbages ( I always think that those crinkly leaves look so lovely on a plate), beetroot, and maybe parsnips. Peas to eat and sweet peas for flowers because they smell so nice!   Probably some winter lettuce, and definitely broccoli and cauliflower. If I can grow all that, I will be pleased.

  God Bless,

  Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment